Saturday, September 27, 2014

Night of the Creeps - 1986 - Movie Review - sort of

Growing up in the VHS heavy 80's, I consumed a ton of horror movies. It seemed like every weekend I roamed the aisles of a video store, staring at the box covers of the "Friday the 13th" "Halloween" "Elm Street" and "Chainsaw" series. Even if I had seen the movie a hundred times, those tapes in the Horror section were always something that seemed to hypnotize me. I'm surprised I didn't grow up to be a serial killer.  And I come from the land of Ed Gein and Dahmer!
That being said, I never really gave a shit about the movie "Night of the Creeps" - it was one of those covers that didn't really grab my attention, an afterthought compared to re-reading the letter on the front of "Sleepaway Camp".  So when it showed up on Netflix I thought I should check it out.



This movie is actually not bad, Its campy as hell, but sort of funny. I'm not going to go into the storyline specifics, but it has enough 80's cheesiness and a somewhat decent story to keep you interested. I watched it in two sittings, but it wasn't a movie I dreaded finishing.  The first few minutes are pretty random, (you will know what I mean when you watch it) But don't let that discourage you.  And as a bonus there are a few moments of unneeded nudity! It's definitely worth checking out. 

Night of the Creeps stars Jason Lively who played "Rusty" in National Lampoons European Vacation and actress Jill Whitlow from "Mask" and 'Weird Science"

*and just a side note, my parents weren't some weirdos that just let their kid watch whatever they wanted, I had to watch these movies at friends houses or wherever I could get my hands on them. I remember watching the original "Friday the 13th" in the reflection of the fireplace glass from another room, and when my mom wouldn't let me watch part 6 I tried to convince her that it was a comedy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment