Thursday, October 25, 2012

Axl Rose on Jimmy Kimmel

Axl Rose did his first live televised interview in 20 years tonight on the Jimmy Kimmel show.
Me, being a 35 year old man-child looked at it as a great opportunity to wait outside in the cold hoping to see him!

about as close as I got.
Axl is more elusive than Bigfoot, he and Izzy Stradlin are the 2 GNR members I haven't personally met yet. You have to be fully prepared to spot him and or members of his entourage that can slip by at any moment. It was Windy as fuck on Wednesday night, and my "seasonal cough" was in full swing. (although nobody ever believes that I only cough when the seasons change) But me and one other die hard fan from Mexico were determined to track him down.

Auditioning for X-Men?
We waited in the back alley behind Kimmel's studios, hoping he would come out that way. The Security guards told us that Axl had already left, but as always, we refused to believe them and wanted to wait for another hour and see for ourselves if they were lying. .... they were not.

are you sure he already left?
Another security guard mentioned that Axl had gone to eat at the Roosevelt Hotel next door. So I got to look extra weird walking around the ultra-hip Roosevelt lounge wearing my GNR jean jacket and carrying a toy box full of memorabilia that I wanted signed.  After scouring the Hotel for about 45 minutes he was nowhere to be found, we kept missing him.  But we did meet a lot of cool fans that had the same GNR obsession as us.

We ended the night at the Papaya King on Cahuenga, which for some reason also has a nightclub in the back of the restaurant. It had some sort of hidden side door that separated the restaurant from the club, with a bouncer and all.  I had to ask the bouncer to move for a sec while I refilled my ketchup.  Its hard to take a bouncer seriously when he is flanked by condiments. I've been more intimidated by bathroom attendants!



The girls said they would post this photo on the wall, so I will be back to make sure!

I watched the Axl interview on TV and it seems like he is loosening up. He looked like he was having fun and was in a pretty good mood. He promoted his upcoming Vegas residency and talked about Halloween.
 It broke my heart though when Jimmy asked him about his days working at Tower Video and Axl said that he had hired people from the "Original Lineup" to work with him there.  The fact that he wouldn't say "Slash's" name sucks.  If you don't know the story, back in the day Axl was the manager for a bit at the Tower Video on Sunset. He hired "Slash" on before they both got fired. When Jimmy asked him about anything from the old days Axl put out the cold front.
That just plain sucks. But I guess that's none of my business.

Upcoming GNR shows to check out, - Axl in Vegas this month / Slash on Dec 3rd at the Wiltern.


No comments:

Post a Comment